There are a ton of different types of games that you can play in order to have more dopamine rush in your system and improve your analytical and motor skills. But you know what is more exciting than playing a new game? Making your own game that you can play and show off in front of your buddies. Now one thing you should keep in mind is that you won’t be able to learn and make PubG or Counter-Strike level games in one day. To make those types of games you need a team of skilled programmers, time, money, and lots of coffee and by lots I mean a lot. But one thing I can help you with is how to make a Ping Pong game.
To make this you need a PC or Laptop and software called Processing IDE. Processing IDE was developed for designers and artists who want to make digital creations but don’t want to learn how to code. We will be using this to make our game. IDE stands for Integrated Development Environment which means that it has all the things like code editor, compiler, terminal, etc. required to make the game in one software.
Before you get your hopes high let me tell you that we are going to make the “Ping Pong Game” – the classic. I know right? So let’s get started.
Steps to Make A Ping-Pong Game
- Download the processing IDE https://processing.org/download/ – download the file according to your OS.
- Unzip the downloaded file and run the processing.exe, this doesn’t need installation.
- This is how the IDE looks like
- Go to this link and download the PingPongGame.zip (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rZmeV8xGPAfskf4jNsZqC00fbnCDaAOm?usp=sharing)
- Extract it and go to Processing IDE > File > Open
- Now go to the folder you downloaded and extracted and select the Ping_Pong_Game.pde and click open or press enter.
- Now go to File > Preferences.
- Click on browse.
- Select the PingPongGame folder from the folder you downloaded in step 3. And click open or press enter.
- And click ok in the Ok.
- Click on the Play button in the top left corner.
- And the game will start.
- Press Mouse and use the key Q for the left slider to move up and A to move it down.
- And O to move the right slider up and L to move the right slider down.
- You can change the keys and the speed at which the slider moves in the Ball file in the below code snippet.
Conclusion & Experience:
I made this game two years ago and at that time I didn’t know how to code.
It took me 1 week to finish the tutorial and get a hold of coding because it’s such a different thing from solving math problems from the textbook.
And then it took me another 7 days to make the game and 3 more days to make it look better by adding fonts, sound, and start and restart screen. And for all these 16 to 17 days, I was working on it 8 to 9 hours per day. Because I didn’t copy it from the internet I wrote every single line myself after understanding the working. But it was worth it, after this project it was very easy for me to learn other programming languages like C and Java.
So if you want to get into “Game development” I would highly suggest you start by learning the Processing IDE from the youtube channel link given above. And the more time you spend writing code the better you’ll get. So to spend 8 to 9 hours every day was fun and I enjoyed the process. When you enjoy the process work doesn’t feel like work. I know that there are certain platforms that let you build games without coding but if you want to make something super customized and different you’ll have to write your own code or maybe hire someone to write code for you.
In the starting, it was painful but now I can’t even imagine a single day without coding. There are two words in Japanese “Kensho” and “Satori”. Kensho means growth by pain and satori means growth by awakening. So if you want to grow you’ll have to go through a lot of pain it is inevitable. But, believe me, it’s worth it. Let me know in the comments what you think about it. Also, share the game if you happen to make it yourself. Peace out.